Updates are all about unveiling new and exciting features!
With iOS 16.3, your iPhone will be updated with security keys, an improved Emergency SOS via satellite, and other bug fixes and security updates. Furthermore, prior versions of iOS, iPadOS, and Safari will also be updated. Compared to iOS 16.2, the arrival of this update is only a month later.
What is Security Key packaged with Apple ID?
You can now protect your Apple ID with a third-party Security Key. Security keys are similar to the keys to your home and offer an extra layer of security against phishing and hackers.
According to Okta’s Chief Product Officer Diya Jolly, hardware security keys are very secure. Apple’s security key feature only works with FIDO Alliance-certified devices.
Rock Out with the HomePod 2 – Get the Most Out of Your Music!
Enjoy maximum music experience with the second-generation HomePod – Get the iOS 16.3 update for unparalleled access! Apple has launched the second-generation HomePod with an iOS 16.3 update for a cost of $299 (£299, AU$479).
Celebrate Black History Month: Unlock Your Potential with the Unity Wallpaper!
Apple’s black unity collection includes a special-edition Apple Watch black unity sport loop, a mosaic watch face, and the new iPhone wallpaper. Apple also plans to offer special content for Apple TV, Fitness Plus, Music, Maps, Books, Podcasts, and the App Store as part of the collection.
Unlock Satellite Access for Emergency SOS: Discover New Ways to Stay Safe.
Discover new ways to utilize the call with hold and release feature. In iOS 16.3, the Call with Hold option was replaced with Call with Hold and Release. This feature allows you to hold the side button and a volume button to initiate a countdown and an alarm. When the countdown ends, your iPhone will make an emergency call. Additionally, the Call Quietly in Emergency SOS feature will prevent your phone from flashing or making an alarm sound when you initiate an emergency call.
According to Apple, iOS 16.3 has the following additions & modifications:
- In honor of Black History Month, a new Unity wallpaper celebrates Black history and culture.
- By requiring a physical security key as part of the two-factor authentication sign-in process on new devices, Security Keys for Apple ID enables users to increase the security of their accounts.
- Support for HomePod (second generation).
- To prevent accidental emergency calls, emergency SOS calls now require holding the side button while pressing the up or down volume button, then releasing it.
- Removes a bug that might cause some sketching strokes made with an Apple Pencil or your finger in Freeform to not show up on shared boards.
- A problem where the wallpaper can display black on the lock screen is fixed.
- Removes a bug that could cause a temporary appearance of horizontal lines while starting up the iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- Corrects a problem where the Home Lock Screen widget misrepresents the status of the Home app.
- A problem where Siri might not respond appropriately to music requests is fixed.
- Fixes instances wherein CarPlay’s Siri requests might not have been properly understood.